Praleisti ir pereiti prie pagrindinio turinio

Indonesia. Beginnings: from small details to swimming with crocodiles

It's not one month when the plane landed in Djakarta and my legs touched the land of Indonesia, but it seems that I'm here for so much longer. Anyways, let's start from the beginnings...

The moment you go outside of the airport, the sensation of heat wraps your body and it does not let it go. Ever. It is never cool here. It's always hot and humid. I'm sitting in the room with no direct sunlight, at my, now, home in Semarang with an air condition blowing artificial wind towards me. And I'm still hot. All I want to do is lie somewhere and do not move... Well, this is not an option right now.

In spite of the heat, I'm enjoying myself in Indonesia immensely. So many things are different here that I get excited about even the small details. So, some impressions...

Insects, reptiles and others. Lizards everywhere: on the ceilings in the warungs (small eating places), at home, in the toilets. Cockroaches? Of course, huge ones. Frogs in the houses, and, of course, some unrecognized insects....

The ceilings of one "warung"

The house where I live in Semarang is big and spacious. Me and my partner for my project from Poland, Julia, (about it I write later, when I start to work seriously on it) share a room. One more permanent lodger is an Indonesian, whose name is Tony. All the other place is for the migrating volunteers. Since the moment I arrived, the house was always crowed, but since today, at least for a while, it's just me, Julia and Tony...

There are no beds, chairs and tables in the house. For me, this absence of chairs and table is really uncomfortable. I'm always moving and changing positions.

Local food is tasty and very spicy. One has to avoid the sauce "sambal", because it leaves the burning sensation in the mouth for quite a long. The main component of food is rice. Indonesians eat the for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes, it's a bit too much for me. Therefore, I'm really glad for the noodles. They make it perfectly here:)

The main language of Indonesia – Bahasa Indonesia is a very easy language. Relatively, of course. The structure is really simple: no genders, no tenses. But many many words. I really hope that after few months I'm gonna speak at least a rudimentary Bahasa.

After few days in Semarang, and 1,5 lessons of Bahasa, the hosting organization took all the EVS volunteers (2 from Lithuania, 2 from Poland, 2 from Italy and 2 from Spain) and with some local volunteers and we went for a 26 hour trip by bus. +2 hours trip by boat.

On the boat road to heaven:)

This on arrival training was 5 days in heaven, in a small village called Taman Jaya. This village is the last stop before the Ujung Kulon national park. This park is the refuge of the very endangered Javan rhinoceros. We were unlucky to see any of them, but we saw a crocodile. Just one day after swimming in the same water. After that, no one entered the water. Even though the heat was impossible:)

The village of Taman Jaya

The return trip was even longer. It took 30 hours to come back to Semarang. After this all "The other way" project's participants parted their ways, and me and Julia stayed in Semarang. I'll write about this crazy, chaotic city some time later:)

Komentarai

Populiarūs šio tinklaraščio įrašai

I dream of Jordan

I remember I was once in Jordan. It was the end of 2016 and I was visiting a friend who lived there. I was travelling alone and it was quite a strange and new experience to me.  Travelling alone in the Middle East. Scary and exciting.  First stop - Amman Next stop - Petra. One night I stayed Ghassab (in the picture below), who has a cave somewhere near Petra. Here he is leading us to the beautiful city from the other side... After visit to Petra, we spent a night in the cave and in the morning, instead of alarm, we some these amazing visitors... One more day in Petra... Next stop - Wadi Rum. A bedouin asked me what I wanted to do, I said I want to spend a night alone in the desert. So he left me with these, alone... Morning in the desert. And the the other bedouin came and showed me around. A visit to a small city As-Salt, which definitely worth your time.  And, of course, Jerash... And

Filmo "Visko teorija" ir dar kelių lietuviškų filmų recenzijos

Na va, pagaliau grįžau prie rašymo apie įvairius filmus. Prieš mėnesį Lietuvos filmų centro svetainėje buvo publikuotos mano recenzijos apie dokumentinį filmą „Dviračiais per Gruziją“ bei animacinį filmą „Aukso žirgas“ . Prieš kelias dienas apie naujausią lietuvių vaidybinį filmą „Traukinio apiplėšimas, kurį įvykdė Saulius ir Paulius“ . Nei vienas filmas, deja, nevartas jūsų laiko. Taip pat, šiandien publikuota recenzija apie filmą „Visko teorija“ tinklaraštyje www.lrt.lt . Šio filmo irgi siūlyčiau išvengti:) Kita vertus, jei „Oskarai“ nors kiek teisingi, pagrindinis šio filmo aktorius turėtų laimėti statulėlę. Gero kino:)

Vietnamas: dvi savaitės turistų rojuje ir viena itin nemaloni patirtis

Halongo įlanka Pasirodė mano straipsnis apie dvi savaites praleistas Vietname. Žinoma, kad ne viskas tilpo į šį straipsnį. Be to, ne viską galiu rašyti. Pavyzdžiui, nerašiau to, kad iki galo Vietnamu nesimėgavau. Taip, tai beprotiškai graži šalis, tačiau visi turistai, jei turi vos kelias savaites, lanko tik tas pačias vietas. Tas pats maršrutas: Hanojus-Hujė-Hojanas-Saigonas. Be to, Hanojuje mane ištiko siaubinga patirtis, trukusi kokia 20 minučių ar pusvalandį. Su drauge ispane ir jos sesers pažįstamu vietnamiečiu sėdime viename bare dūzgiančiame Hanojaus senamiestyje. Mes su ispane pasakojame vietnamiečiui apie Indoneziją, jis n pasakoja apie Vietnamą. Staiga į mus atsisuka vienas vyriškis, ir ima klausti, kaip mes vieni kitus pažįstame. Pradedame kalbėtis. Juk taip galima užmegzti įdomių patirčių.  Paklaustas, ką jis čia veikia, vyriškis atsako, kad "apturi velnioniškai gerą laiką" ("I am having a fucking great time here!"). Jis yra iš Lenkijos, či